If you are struggling to lose weight or have hit a plateau, some of these tips may be helpful. Sometimes, it is best to narrow down your focus to 4-5 lifestyle changes instead of trying to overhaul all at once. Overhauling works for some people, but maybe you are one of those people it doesn’t. It can get discouraging trying to figure out where to start. I’m not an expert, but I’m an avid reader of all things related to nutrition and exercise, I’ve taken a few nutrition courses and I’ve journeyed through my own struggles of gaining and losing weight. So hopefully, all of this combined will be able to help someone else.
So here are my tips:
- If you have limited time to exercise, focus on whole-body strength training combined with High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT). My go to when I am short on time are Karena & Katrina’s (Tone It Up) Youtube Videos. They range from 15-20 minutes typically, and are very effective workouts.
- Eat a light breakfast before working out like yogurt, fruit or whole grain toast just for some quick energy. Then eat a breakfast focusing on protein after you workout. You can include some type of carb, but make sure your focus is protein. I usually like to make some type of egg whites or a protein smoothie.
- Don’t eat after 8pm. Typically, any eating you do after 8pm is not necessary. If you do need to eat because of a legitimate medical condition, eat fruit with some protein like a piece of cheese.
- Focus on eating nutrient dense food versus just your calorie intake. This includes foods with lots of vitamins, minerals, fiber. Eat at least 5-6 cups of fruits and vegetables per day. The more you focus on fruits and vegetables, the more you will naturally eat less calories. This doesn’t mean omit proteins and whole grains. I have found that most people I talk to about their diet, do not eat near enough fruits and vegetables. They are starving their bodies even though they are eating enough calories because their bodies are not getting the nutrients it needs. Check out my mason jar salads which have become popular on Pinterest for a way to load up on veggies.
- Drink mainly water with some tea thrown in there (green tea has amazing health benefits). Don’t get your hydration from pop – even diet. It has sodium and actually slows down the metabolism. Water is essential for the metabolic process.
Feel free to share in the comments any other tips that have helped you…